Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Power Of Sin- Daily Bread

I was having lunch with a pastor-friend when the discussion sadly turned to a mutual friend in ministry who had failed morally. As we grieved together over this fallen comrade, now out of ministry, I wondered aloud, “I know anyone can be tempted and anyone can stumble, but he’s a smart guy. How could he think he could get away with it?” Without blinking, my friend responded, “Sin makes us stupid.” It was an abrupt statement intended to get my attention, and it worked.
I have often thought of that statement in the ensuing years, and I continue to affirm the wisdom of those words. How else can you explain the actions of King David, the man after God’s own heart turned adulterer and murderer? Or the reckless choices of Samson? Or the public denials of Christ by Peter, the most public of Jesus’ disciples? We are flawed people who are vulnerable to temptation and to the foolishness of mind that can rationalize and justify almost any course of action if we try hard enough.
If we are to have a measure of victory over the power of sin, it will come only as we lean on the strength and wisdom of Christ (Rom. 7:24-25). As His grace strengthens our hearts and minds, we can overcome our own worst inclination to make foolish choices


God’s Spirit is your power source—don’t let sin break the connection.

3 comments:

Trybless said...

"I was having lunch with a pastor-friend when the discussion sadly turned to a mutual friend in ministry who had failed morally. As we grieved together over this fallen comrade, now out of ministry, I wondered aloud, “I know anyone can be tempted and anyone can stumble, but he’s a smart guy. How could he think he could get away with it?” Without blinking, my friend responded, “Sin makes us stupid.” "

sadly your above words are ones used by christians worldwide to justify gossip and judging. its wise to approach your so called fallen comrade, encourage him, admonish him if you have to and bring him back to the kingdom

walk said...

lol at future diplomat.eeeh i will not jump to conclusions on your comment.(1.because i was not there when they were discussing 2.dont you think you are being judgemental on the writer )but i hadly doubt that when the daily bread writer was writing the story he was gossiping and being judgemental.i think the moral of the story is what counts.

Trybless said...

oops I came back to check out a comment I posted here along time ago, I did not know you were qouting someone as coz you did not acknowledge the author. sorry about that