Friday, March 9, 2007

No Longer Young

Recently, as I left a shop, I overheard the man who had served me whisper in disappointment, "He called me ‘uncle,’ when he’s definitely older than I am." Since childhood, my Chinese culture has taught me it is polite to say, "Thank you, Uncle!" for help received. This gesture has served me well, but now I have to think twice before using it. Taking a good look in the mirror, my eyes confirm that I am no longer the person my mind remembers.
Being young has many advantages, but with age comes the joy of reflecting on God’s faithfulness. David reminds us in Psalm 37: "I have been young, and now am old; yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken" (v.25).Now that I’m in my fifties, I reflect and wonder how I ever could have thought that God had forsaken me. Yes, He has permitted me to face what seemed like insurmountable difficulties, but now I know it was only to shape me. God has always preserved me, and when I stumble I know it is "the Lord [who] upholds [me] with His hand" (v.24).We are growing older all the time, but we can also grow more thankful for God’s many mercies. Above all, we are grateful that He puts the love of His law in our hearts and keeps our steps from sliding (v.31).

God’s faithfulness we’ve known throughout the years,His oneness with us in our joys and tears;
So many times the Lord has helped us through,Has answered prayer and given strength anew.
As the years add up, God’s faithfulness multiplies.

ODB RADIO: Listen Now DownloadREAD: Psalm 37:23-31
The Lord loves justice, and does not forsake His saints; they are preserved forever. —Psalm 37:28

No comments: